Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

3 Rejections and Counting

This is the first time in my life that I've been excited by rejection!

We've all experience it at some point in our lives. (If you haven't, then the rest of us hate you). I have to admit, I've done pretty well on the rejection spectrum so far. Most of the guys I was interested in gave me a try, most of the jobs I wanted worked out eventually. My life is really pretty peachy. Maybe that's why it's a little easier to handle my 3 rejection letters from agents.

There's a little voice in my head that keeps reminding me rejection is bad, but all I can think about is that...

"This means I'm actually taking that step and asking agents to love my book as much as I do!"

It's been a loooooong road getting here. I was in such a whirling tizzy while I wrote the first draft that all I cared about was the story. I did absolutely no research into how one actually gets their manuscript made into a real life, on the shelves, book. So when I thought I was finished, I was ready and raring to start sending that puppy out! Ha Ha, I'm giggling about that now.  I was so dumb. I had no idea how much work goes into revising, editing, beta reading, critiquing, querying, writing a synopsis, doing agent research, etc...

So fast forward a year and half later... now I've done all the legwork and I really think it's ready. That feels amazing! When I sent that first query to the agent of my dreams, who (ahem) still hasn't responded, it felt like I'd been standing on the shore for the last year, dying to get my feet wet and I had finally taken those first steps.

I'm sure the rejection count is actually higher than 3. I've sent about 12 queries so far and a lot of agents won't even respond if they're not interested. But with each one, I had a surge of happiness because it makes me feel like I'm really doing this. I'm trying to be a professional writer.

Ok, so in another two months when that number has doubled or tripled, I might be a little less happy.  But for now I'm just gonna revel in my rejection and keep writing!

By the way, for any writer friends reading this... ever had trouble with emails getting rejected? (Yes I've triple checked spelling) I've had a slew of them recently and I'm wondering what's going on. Is this something the agents do if they're not accepting submissions?


3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your rejection :)

    I finished my MS at Xmas, and thought agents just picked up a vibe in the atmosphere and the phone would start ringing... lol

    Then a mutual friend introduced me to Jade, who very, very gently disiullusioned me and pointed me in the right direction. I'm hoping to finish my big edit/rewrite this month so I can stick a toe in the query ocean too.

    I love your positive attitude. All we have to do is find that one agent who loves your MS as much as we do. It's just that there are so many agents to sort through to find that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by rejected emails? Try sending from a non-Yahoo account, preferably something that is a formal website. I would send mine either from erictrant.com, or from my company, trantlogistics.com. Having a website adds credence to your query.

    In my Excel spreadsheet, which I use to track submittals (when I am submitting), I use a conditional format to turn the cell GREEN whenever I fill it with REJECTED. And in that column I title it "Rejected Y/N" so I have to put a YES in the column.

    I do the same as you. I convince myself it is a small victory, since being rejected by a company/publisher/agent is one less you need to worry about.

    Sort of like panning for gold and celebrating that you strained out a panful of rocks and mud to sling downstream.


    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great attitude. I can't say I handled my first rejections as well. But now I'm an old pro. :) If you mean you're getting your emails bounced back, I'm not sure what that means. That never happened to me, although I do get a lot of auto-replies.

    Good luck with your querying!

    ReplyDelete